So you have a KDP Select promo coming up, and have a Freebooksy Feature booked. Congrats.
Here are some tips to make the most of your promotion:
Before your promotion:
- Log into your KDP Select account and double-check that your free day has been scheduled. Triple check that the date of your free promo matches the date that your Freebooksy Feature will be run.
- Follow us on Twitter, Like us on Facebook and Sign up for our reader emails – (make sure to sign up for your genre). We’ll mention you in all three places (if you bought a Feature Plus), and that way you’ll have easy access to your promotional channels. Go ahead and add us to your circles on Google Plus as well.
- Draft an email that you will send out to your family and friends on the day of the promotion. The more downloads you get, the higher your ranking on Amazon will be. Here’s an example of a draft email:
Hello friends & family,
As many of you know I have authored a book that is now available on Amazon. Today I am running a promotion to get the word out about my book and I need your help! My book will be free for Kindle today only and it is going to be featured on Freebooksy, a blog that reaches over 100,000 Kindle readers! The more downloads I get, the better my Amazon rankings will be. I would really appreciate it if you could take 5 minutes out of your day today and help me by:
1) Going to [insert Amazon book URL] and downloading a copy of the book (it’s free so this will not cost you anything). You can download a free copy even if you don’t own a Kindle, simply choose “Deliver to Cloud Reader”.
2) Following Freebooksy on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Freebooksy) and Liking and Sharing the post that features my book.
3) Forwarding this email to your friends.
Thanks again for your help!
The day of your promotion:
- Check your book page on Amazon and confirm that your book is free. (If for some reason your book is not free please email us as soon as possible and let us know.)
- Go to our website, find your feature (posts go up at 5 AM EST), and grab the link. Tweet it out and share it on Facebook.
- Send your email to family and friends.
- Monitor Freebooksy on Facebook and Twitter. Retweet the Freebooksy tweet about your book. Share the Facebook post that mentions your book.
- Check your Amazon download numbers and rankings every 2-3 hours. Track the numbers in a spreadsheet so you can refer back to it later.
After your promotion:
- Send a thank you email to family and friends. Here’s an example:
Hello friends and family,
Thank you so much for helping me with my book promotion yesterday. My book got over [insert number] downloads and was ranked #[insert ranking] on the [insert genre] charts on Amazon. I am thrilled and I couldn’t have done it without you!
I hope you enjoy reading my book. As always, I’d appreciate if you could leave a review of the book on Amazon when you have finished reading it.
Thanks again for your support.
2. Get your “I was Featured on Freebooksy badge” and install it on your website or blog.
3. Track your book ranking and sales over the next 2-4 weeks.
4. Start planning your next promotion.
As always – shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or feedback.